Do you have questions about the West Virginia Olympic Development Program (ODP)? Here's some information about this great program.
The Olympic Development Program was formed to identify a pool of players in each age group from which a National Team will be selected for international competition; to provide high-level training to benefit and enhance the development of players at all levels; and, through the use of carefully selected, and licensed coaches, develop a mechanism for the exchange of ideas and curriculum to improve all levels of coaching.
What are ODP teams?
Olympic Development Program teams are squads formed at the State, Regional, and National Olympic levels representing the best players at various age groups.
ODP is a national program designed to serve two major purposes:
- To identify the outstanding youth players throughout this country to represent the United States in international competition.
- To develop the top players throughout the United States, at the State, Regional, and National levels.
At the first level (state) pools of players are formed at each age group, throughout the state and brought together to draw upon their skills and to develop their talents further by providing coaching at a high level of expertise. The Program also allows them to gain recognition of their abilities through competition with other State Select ODP teams.
Who is eligible?
Any soccer player who is registered with WVSA is eligible for consideration in the ODP. (A player must be a U.S. citizen to play on the National Team).
How are players selected?
Players are evaluated and selected on the four components that make up a soccer player: technique, tactics, fitness and athletic ability, and psychological component (attitude).
What are Regional Camps?
US Youth Soccer is divided into four regions, each of which offers a Regional Camp for State Association ODP teams in each eligible age group. The camps are designed to provide high-level competition and training for participating players. During this training and competition, players who are capable of performing at a higher level of play are identified for possible National Team Camp, Pool, or team participation.
What are the benefits of participating in ODP?
1. Development as a player. The opportunity to train and play with the best players in one's age group.
2. Quality instruction from nationally licensed coaches.
3. Quality competition. Games against other state association ODP teams.
4. Exposure to Regional and National Team Coaches.
5. The opportunity to represent one's state, region, or country in competition.
6. Exposure to college coaches.
ODP selection process - how are the ages decided?
ODP teams are selected by age group but in keeping with national standards, the players are all from the same birth year. Teams will be selected at five age groups.
For more information on the Olympic Development Program, contact:
Amanda Wyatt - WV ODP Administrator
PO Box 3360
Beckley WV 25801